The world of home crafting is constantly evolving.
New tools, machines, and software updates pop up every few months. Luckily, that means there’s always something new to learn.
Sizzix and Cricut both dominate the crafting world, but which is better: Sizzix or Cricut? Both are fantastic tools, but they have different uses.
This article will explore Sizzix vs Cricut, their similarities, differences, and the pros, and cons of each.
What is a Sizzix?
The Sizzix Big Shot is a die cutting machine that cuts paper and vinyl, adheres ribbon to projects, embosses, creates custom stamps, and much more.
Sizzix machines are meant for crafting scrapbookers. The Big Shot is the workhorse of the Sizzix line.
The machine has 600 die-cutting edges, and its reamers cut through fabrics, paper, cardstock, foam, and more.
Sizzix machines can also create custom dies and emboss any images or text you want onto your choice of materials.
Another added plus is that the Big Shot also comes with a 2-year warranty.
Read our related article on Sure Cuts A Lot, a program designed for Sizzix (but can be used with Cricut). Learn more!
What is a Cricut?
Cricut is a company that creates cutting machines, software, and more that work with various brands. Their devices are called “Cricut Machines.”
One of their best-selling machines is the Cricut Explore Air 2, with over 4 million sales.
Cricut machines are handheld cutting machines meant for crafters and paper-crafting enthusiasts.
- Cricut machines can cut almost any material, including paper, cardstock, vinyl, and fabric.
- Cricut machines can cut images, create 3D shapes, and emboss designs onto paper.
- Cricut machines can also make DIY cards, scrapbook pages, and other papercrafts.
Since Cricut machines are electronic, they can be connected to their Design Space app, which allows you to create and share designs with ease.
You can also export formats to various other apps, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Etsy.
Sizzix VS Cricut: Which is Better?
These two companies offer some of the most versatile machines on the market.
Sizzix machines are best for paper and vinyl cutting, and Cricut machines can cut almost any material.
Sizzix machines are more affordable than Cricut machines, but both brands offer a wide range of products to fit your needs.
Which company is better? Well, that depends on what you’re looking for.
If you’re looking for a specific type of cutting machine, these two brands’ offerings are so similar that it’s tough to choose one over the other.
- Versatile: Sizzix machines cut various materials and can create multiple custom images, stamps, and designs. The Sizzix Big Shot is the workhorse of the Sizzix line, and it can cut materials like paper, cardstock, foam, and more.
- Affordable: Their devices range from $300 – $400. The Sizzix Big Shot is Sizzix’s a pretty affordable machine, and it’s just as versatile.
- Fast: You can cut various materials with Sizzix machines, and quickly.
- Durable: Sizzix machines are durable and built to last. They’re also backed by a two-year warranty, standard for most home-repair tools.
- Easy to Clean: Sizzix machines are easy to clean. All you have to do is wipe them down with a damp cloth.
Here’s a look at the newest Sizzix edition:
- Durable: Cricut machines are durable and built to last. They’re also backed by a 2-year warranty.
- Versatile: Cricut machines do more than just cut paper and fabric. They will also cut vinyl, foam, glittery foam, paper, photos, etc.
- Affordable: Cricut machines are relatively inexpensive compared to Sizzix machines. The Cricut Explore Air 2 Plus is the most affordable machine in the Cricut line, and it costs around $200.
- Fast: You can cut various materials with Cricut machines. They won’t slow down as quickly as Sizzix machines when cutting through cardstock or heavy vinyl-like duct tape or packing tape.
- Ease of Use: Cricut is a super straightforward machine and Cricut even offers tutorials that walk you through the process step-by-step on their website.
Here is an awesome video looking into different Cricut models:
Q: Which machine is suitable for you?
A: This depends on a variety of factors, but generally Cricut machines are great for those who have a larger space and want to work on many designs or craft projects at a time.
Sizzix machines are great if you’ve got a smaller space and time constraints since they cut just about anything.
Q: What material can I use with my Cricut machine?
A: There are dozens of tried materials that the various Cricut machines can cut through, from thin vinyl to thick wool crepe.
While Cricut machines can cut through an astounding number of materials, it doesn’t guarantee that they will cut through everything.
Here’s a chart of the various materials your Cricut can cut.
Cricut and Sizzix are great brands that you can use to make all sorts of paper crafts and materials.
You’ll be amazed at the versatility and strength of both machines, especially if you’ve never tried cutting before.
Seek out the tutorials and take the time to learn how to cut before you start!