Can Silhouette Cameo 4 cut wood? That’s a burning question that’s been on many people’s minds because you can make lovely, lasting gifts and decor from wood veneer.
The Silhouette Cameo 4 can cut a range of wood types, including hardwood and softwood veneers – but only to a certain thickness.
Read on to find out how the Silhouette Cameo 4 cuts wood, and how to use this feature for your next project!
Can Silhouette Cameo 4 Cut Wood?
Yes, the Cameo 4 can cut wood!
The Silhouette Cameo 4 can cut wood, including Silhouette wood sheets. Silhouette’s wood sheets are .25mm thick and must be cut with the kraft blade.
The wood sheets also have a strong adhesive backing so your cut wood creations can directly adhere to your project surface. To create thicker designs, cut multiple iterations of the same shape and stack them.
This is because it comes with a special accessory blade that allows it to deliver the required cut while working with wood materials.
What is Silhouette Cameo 4?
Silhouette Cameo 4 is a cutting machine that is used to create detailed designs and patterns on a wide range of different materials.
This versatile piece of equipment can be used both at home and in professional settings. This makes it a great choice for anyone who wants to do creative crafts and get professional results.
With the Silhouette Cameo 4, you can cut intricate shapes in paper, cardstock, vinyl, fabric, and more. It also has built-in software for image tracing and design editing.
Thanks to this, you can easily manipulate existing designs or create your own from scratch.
Whether you’re looking to start your own creative business or just want to explore your creative side in your spare time, the Silhouette Cameo 4 is a powerful tool that is sure to inspire your imagination.
How Does Silhouette Cameo 4 Cut Wood?
The Silhouette Cameo 4 is a cutting machine that can be used to cut a variety of materials, including wood veneer and balsa wood.
- When cutting wood with the Silhouette Cameo 4, it is important to use the correct blade setting.
- Cut wood using a 3mm Kraft blade. This knife blade is your best bet for clean edges. For balsa wood, you’ll still need to make multiple passes, but Silhouette wood sheets will cut cleanly through.
- Make sure that the blade is sharp. A dull blade will give you chipped edges and uneven cuts. If you’re not sure, then swap out your blade for a new one.
- The Silhouette Cameo 4 comes with a blade depth adjustment tool. This tool can be used to set the blade to the correct depth for cutting wood.
- The Silhouette Cameo 4 also has a pressure adjustment knob. This knob increases or decreases the amount of pressure that the blade applies to the material being cut.
This is the case with the various cutting machines, including Cricut machines, that have pressure settings that enable them to cut wood.
Which Blade Do I Use to Cut Wood With Silhouette Cameo 4?
Although the Silhouette Cameo 4 can cut wood, it is important to use the correct blade setting. It should also be ensured that the blade is sharp.
You will need to use the 3mm kraft blade to cut wood with this cutting machine. This has been specifically designed for this purpose.
Steps to Cut Wood With Silhouette Cameo 4
- To cut wood with the Silhouette Cameo 4 and the 3mm kraft blade, start by switching on your cutting machine. Select the 3mm kraft blade setting.
- Place your wood material on a cutting mat then adjust the pressure knob to increase or decrease the amount of pressure that is applied to the wood as it is cut.
- Next, carefully place your material into the cutting machine. Follow the on-screen instructions to let the cutter complete your design.
- Carefully flex your design once the cutting is complete to ensure the cuts have gone through and your design is free from the negative space.
- Finally, be sure to clean your blade after each use in order to keep it sharp and ensure optimal performance.
Cutting wood with the Silhouette Cameo 4 is just as easy as cutting paper or vinyl if you have the right blade and settings loaded in the machine.
If you decide to cut thicker wood it may take you a few passes. We’ll cover that next.
Can the Silhouette Cameo 4 Cut Thick Wood?
The Silhouette Cameo can cut a wide range of wood thicknesses, up to 3mm thick. This maximum goes for any material, not just wood.
This is a wonderful feature for unique and fun crafts and jewelry designs.
When you want to cut a thicker bit of wood veneer or a sheet of balsa wood it can’t exceed 3mm and you’ll need to cut the design with multiple passes to get through.
If you want to create much thicker designs, set the machine to cut multiple iterations of your design then sandwich them together and sand the edges to make a unified shape.
Keep in mind that although the kraft blade can cut through materials other than those sold by Silhouette, don’t expect to get pristine edges.
You’ll likely have to do a little sanding to make them look perfect.
Also keep in mind that cutting non-recommended materials can dull your blade more quickly and increases the risk of damaging your machine, so proceed with caution.
Check out this video to see how the Silhouette Cameo 4 does when it’s set to cut balsa wood.
What Kind of Wood Can the Silhouette Cameo 4 Cut?
The Silhouette Cameo 4 can cut a wide range of wood types, including:
- < 3mm hardwood veneers (cherry, oak, walnut, maple, birch)
- < 3mm softwood veneers (pine, fir)
- < 3mm Balsa wood
- Cork sheets
It’s vital to note that materials supplied by Silhouette (or competitors) are guaranteed to cut smoothly in your machine.
Thin materials you get at the hardware store can also cut perfectly, but you have to be more careful.
You can’t put material into your cutter that is over 3mm thick. The thinner the better when it comes to cutting hard materials.
You’ll get smoother cuts and less likelihood of cracking your design.
Read More: Cricut vs Silhouette. See how these machines compare in our complete review, comparison, and guide!
Precautions for Cutting Wood With Your Silhouette Cameo 4
When cutting wood with your Silhouette Cameo 4, it is important to take a few precautionary measures to ensure the longevity of your machine.
- Use a sharp blade – dull blades can make your wood splinter or get jagged edges.
- Keep the Silhouette Cameo 4 clean – clean away wood dust and debris before it can work into machine rollers and other parts. Use canned air or a detailing vacuum tip to get wood dust away from your machine.
- Be patient – if you’re cutting thicker materials you’ll need to make additional passes to get your material to break free. Take your time and ensure it’s cut through before removing it from the mat.
- Use a strong grip mat to hold your wood in place. You can also use painter’s tape or Frog Tape to keep the edges securely in place while cutting.
The machine is very safe to use as long as you’re not trying to load inappropriate material into it.
Don’t attempt to cut metal or really thick wood. You’ll break your machine.
What Other Materials Can the Silhouette Cameo 4 Cut?
In addition to cutting wood, the Silhouette Cameo 4 can also be used to cut various other materials, including paper, cardstock, vinyl, fabric, and more.
Its built-in software allows you to easily manipulate existing designs or create your own from scratch, making it an ideal tool for crafting and DIY projects.
Looking for a lightweight cutter that can cut vinyl on the go? We love using the Silhouette Portrait 3 for our business when we’re creating on the go!
The Silhouette Cameo 4 is a winning machine all-around.
When you pair it with Silhouette’s incredible lineup of materials, there really isn’t a limit to what you can create with it.
Whether you use it for personal items or you use it to stock your store, this is a nice-sized home machine that can do it all.